Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Target Panic, Words from the Nuge, and A Peak Into My Soul.

Sighting in my new bow for yet another hunt of a lifetime over the last couple weeks has been a great learning experience for me. I didn't realize how "out of the game" I had become shooting the same bow that I killed my first elk with back in 2001. Eleven years is an eternity in compound bow technology.


My first bull in 2001.
 My new set up is sweet but I feel like I'm learning to shoot all over again. Although the technology is what most people would call "better", I'm having somewhat of a mental block moving forward because I haven't really developed a trust and feel for my new stuff.

I was shooting last Sunday and felt my heart racing every time I lowered my pin onto my target. I caught myself flinching horribly when I went to squeeze my release. After flinging two of my new $10 arrows into the woods, amidst some very good shots, I decided I was going to research the weird phenomenon I was experiencing for the first time. It's hard to explain, and it sounds completely insane to anyone that has never fired a bow, but it felt like every time the pin reached my desired target my entire would tense up and the anxiety of either hitting or missing my target seized me in the moment where I needed to be the most calm.

Turns out it's pretty common; target panic. From Olympic archers to hunting legends like Fred Bear and Ted Nugent, many of the world's top archers have experienced it.

Near as I can tell I could write a book on the subject after doing one Google search but I'm simply going to throw up some interesting words from Ted Nugent that I found to be pretty helpful.

  1. Be certain your bow is properly set up for your exact draw length and VERY importantly, light enough draw weight for you to draw and hold effortlessly, gracefully, smoothly, in a straight line. The more tension, the more aggravation. Not only will a lightweight bow help you overpower target panic symptoms, ultimately, it will make you a better overall archer. Especially in the field. I shoot 55# and get complete pass thru arrow penetration on nearly every animal including huge beasts like buffalo, eland and zebra. DO NOT SHOOT TOO OFTEN. Only shoot a few, well-disciplined arrows per session. Be sure to stretch and warm up first before each shooting session. I use the BowMaster training device to keep those specialized archery muscles toned.
  2. Set up a large, ample arrow backstop, and place a paper plate on it. I shoot each night in the basement. Shoot only perfect arrows at about 5 feet away. By a perfect arrow, I mean well thought out, disciplined arrows. Each and every shot. The goal here is to imprint on our minds a perfectly effective shot procedure through conscientious repetition. Concentrate on total procedure and NOT accuracy. Tell yourself that the middle of the plate is unimportant in itself, merely another sequential element in the shot procedure. Fully concentrate on the nocking of the arrow, slow and easy, 100% eye focus on the center of the plate, smooth, straight draw and anchor, and the most important part of all, a subconscious release using back tension.
  3. Here's the goofy part. With step #2 as a guide, shut your eyes and take a deep breath just before the arrow is released. That's right. Shoot with your eyes closed, hence the large, ample arrow stop. As you prepare to draw, begin the draw, anchor, and prepare to release, continue to look square into the center of the plate, but close your eyes before the actual release, and transfer all mental concentration on a "total being" release, tightening the back muscles. Whether you use fingers or a mechanical release, touch off the arrow with the same level of concentration and "squeeze" so essential to firearm marksmanship. Any jerking or punching will translate into bad accuracy downrange. At this point, I, for the most part, was able to release some consistently good arrows, and even take the learned shot procedure to the field. But the target panic beast would rear its evil head and still cause me to flinch or stumble on occasion. So I went the next logical step in my sacred ritual of projectile management and self-control, combining it with the love I have of all things wild and the hunt itself. Like my "Prayer for the Wild things" attitude toward the critters and my powerful relationship with the wild, I decided my shooting could use a little prayer as well. So it was in final agonizing, terminal frustrating desperation that I stumbled onto this unique, wonderful treatment for my painful target panic affliction.
  4. As a mind clearing, calming, verbal mantra, throughout the shot preparation and sequence, I slowly say the sign of the cross, my little projectile management prayer. Eventually I staggered the prayer to coincide with stages of the shot procedure. As I concentrate on the "spot" I want to hit, I lift my bow into actual sight picture shooting position and say, "In the name of the Father", then as I begin to draw, "And of the Son", then when I come to solid anchor and my eyes are riveted to the exact point of desired arrow impact, I say, "And of the Holy Spirit," finally I begin to tighten my back muscles, and at "Amen" I touch her off.
  
Of course in true Nugent fashion, he ends with , "Do not abandon that ever mystical flight of our awe inspiring arrow, my friends. Snatch that bow outta the closet, back down the draw weight, and begin over again with a new, upgraded projectile management discipline. We must tattoo our psyche with the correct shot procedure to the point where it all comes second nature, even in the wild outback when the beast is in our face, dancing on our raw nerve endings. Control will happen only when we train ourselves to follow a distinct sequence of intelligent, effective steps, in every instance of our arrow flinging lives."

Ted, although he may seem extreme at times, seems like a pretty cool guy to me. He's the type that would rather miss completely than wound an animal, barring a good quick clean kill. I don't have much respect for guys that are happy putting an arrow in something just to see if they will get lucky enough to find it two weeks later after the birds and coyotes have had their way with the carcass; mounting the antlers on their wall as a sign of their supreme hunting skill. You're not a good hunter if you don't make good use of the meat. . .. regardless of antlers.
Sunrise on opening morning 2011

For me, and anyone who hunts for what I believe to be the "right" reasons, hunting isn't really about killing. Rather, it's about being a part of life and the world around me. If you don't feel remorse when you take the life of ANY living thing you should not be doing it. Of course this opinion begs the question, "Then why do it?" The answer to that is not a simple one. . . nor is it one that I expect many people to fully understand. For me, hunting is somewhat of a spiritual conquest; my way of connecting with the world around us. What could be more natural than using all of your God given senses to stalk an animal, with their own God given senses, in a setting where anything can happen? When you really stop to breathe in the experience and appreciate everything from the gravel under your feet, the smell of the sage, the thrill of the chase, and the beauty of the animal. . . . . what better compliment could you give the Guy that created all this stuff than to stop and smile for a second? Once more, it makes it all even more special when you can share those experiences with people you care about.  But even when I am alone, which is the case more often than not, I never feel more "whole" that I do when I'm out enjoying the creation, whether it be on a snowmobile, holding a fishing pole, walking up a mountain, sitting in a boat, or watching a dirt road dust cloud kick up and settle behind my truck.


The first of many Koley trees.
There are people that sit in church and think about hunting, fishing, and being outside. There are other people that spend their time outside and think about God.

This post has turned in a direction that I didn't expect but I dig it! Why not provide a little insight to why I do some of the things I do? The cool thing is, if you don't believe in it. . . that's ok! I'm certainly not going to judge you for it and tell you you're wrong.

With all that being said, I sure am looking forward to another season and more memories. 



 

2 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks Carson!
      I appreciate you support! Please let me know if you ever have any suggestions or input on anything you'd like to see on the blog!

      Delete

Thoughts, ideas, suggestions?
Let me now what you think!