Wednesday, July 11, 2012

A Crisp White Cross in the Charred Dust: A Memorial to Fallen Heroes

On June 3, 2012 two very brave men lost their lives when their Lockheed P2V-7 went down behind the fire line carrying 1,600 gallons of fuel and 2,000 gallons of fire retardant, bound to be dropped to suppress the White Rock Fire burning along the Southwest border of Nevada and Utah.

The story went National and there was much talk about these two men and the conditions surrounding the accident. The loss of a life is always sad but this one hit close to home with me as I have friends that are wild land fire fighters and I am very familiar with the area. In fact, that specific are of the state is where I spent many weekend with my family, killed my first elk, and have been making weekly trips to scout for my upcoming archery elk hunt.

Last weekend my father and I made a trip out to the area to look for elk and take a look at the damage that the fire had done. Having seen the aerial photos of the fire I knew which road we needed to take to get along the southern border and was interested to see how the fire had changed the familiar landscape.

After a couple hours of driving from my fathers house in Cedar City we were on a small winding dirt road entering the southwestern corner of the White Rock burn. The fire ultimately left a 6,270 acre scar on the land and a hole in the hearts of countless family members and fellow firefighters.

As we made our way through the scorched black earth and the remnants of pinion and juniper trees I couldn't help but think about the two men that I had never met as I saw a perfect line on the other side of the road that was still thick with trees and brush. . . . covered in orange fire retardant. As we drove deeper in to the burn, having seen the aerial photographs, I was aware that we were approaching where I thought the crash site might be. It was then that something up ahead caught my eye, amidst the charred trees and black ground there was something white, pristine, and untouched.


Capt. Todd Neal Topkins and First Officer Ronnie Edwin Chambless, both from Boise, Idaho, lost their lives on this hillside. This memorial is there to commemorate their service, dedication, hard work, and spirit.

The feeling of being in that spot was surreal. It was an overcast day but being early evening the sun was beginning to peak through the high clouds as it approached the horizon. As I bent down to take this picture the sun was shining through and creating a very bright contrast between the cross and the burned ground around it. It was quiet. . . . .beautiful. . . . . and intense. Behind the cross sits a piece of the plane and some small tools salvaged from the wreckage. I knelt in the charred dust and said a small prayer before I left; asking that Todd and Ronnie know that I appreciated their hard work, that I will always think about them and their families every time I make the trip out there, and that their comrades worldwide be protected. I dropped a tear in the dust for some souls that I had never met.

I'd like to say thank you to all those that have fought, or continue to fight, these fires. You don't get much attention but please know that you are absolutely appreciated and admired by many.

As my father and I got back in the truck and drove away I thought a lot less about all of the problems and worries that have been plaguing my mind. . . . . and simply enjoyed the beautiful place I was in and the company of the man I was sharing it with.

The rest of the day was incredible.



 

4 comments:

  1. Awesome Blog! I have been following a few outdoor blogs about products, areas, and fishing/hunting. I have really liked your past few posts. I look forward to seeing some posts in the future about products you use and what you think about them. Thanks for writing this in tribute to fire fighters. They protect not only homes and our forests but also our memories.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Eric!

    I appreciate your support and input buddy! Those wild land guys have a very tough and thankless job.

    Let me know if you ever have any suggestions or would like to see a review on anything specific!

    ReplyDelete
  3. thankyou for this nice story. i am the mother of one of the pilots, ron chambless. i appreciate the pic of the cross at the site, and for your thoughts and prayers. it is still very surreal, but their memories live on.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i would like a copy of the picture if there is any way. e mail is pmcsb@swbell.net. thanks, paula (ron's mother)

    ReplyDelete

Thoughts, ideas, suggestions?
Let me now what you think!