Wednesday, August 1, 2012

An Embarrasing Moment and My Latest Purchase: Under Armour Heat Gear Scent Control Camo

Last night I got caught in somewhat of an embarrassing situation. To those of you who know me personally, I know that must come as a total shock to you.

Knowing I had a few minutes before my girlfriend came home, I ran up the stairs with a new purchase and quickly ditched my insurance monkey suit.

Unfortunately, I didn't have as much time as I thought and I was caught in the act: modeling my new camo, head to toe, in front of the bedroom mirror.

My hunt starts in 17 days and I'm a little bit excited about it.

Now, to my latest purchase!

As you've seen in some of my blog posts I purchased a pair of Under Armour Speed Freak boots and have been very impressed to this point. I have had my eye on Under Armour camo for some time now and having had great experiences with their other products (mostly workout and baseball clothing) I decided to take the plunge and pick up some UA Heat Gear Scent Control t shirts, on short sleeve and one long sleeve.

The unit I'm hunting is pretty unique in that it goes from frosty cold in the morning to 90 degrees in the afternoon. Literally. Good base layers are extremely important because you shed your jacket as soon as the sun comes up if you don't want to be covered in sweat. Under Armour shirts and been great at the gym and on the baseball field so I'm pretty excited to take that experience to the hills.

FIRST IMPRESSIONS:

Ok, I know I'm supposed to be all technical here but come on guys, let's be honest: this stuff LOOKS awesome. Maybe Under Armour has just done a great job with their marketing but as soon as I saw this stuff I thought to myself, "I'd look freakin' awesome wearing that in a picture with a nice bull." Yes, I tried it on before I bought it and may or may not have flexed the guns in the mirror just to see how it looked. I'm starting to feel like I'm way to honest with you people.



Outside of them looking awesome, these tops do have some technical aspects that enticed me. I'm not much of a stand or blind hunter so I spend a lot of my time running up and down mountains to get ahead of animals. Needless to say, sweating like crazy is a given. More often than not, an animal is going to smell you long before it sees you. I don't believe that there is a garment in existence that will eliminate your smell. I don't care how much you spend. I do believe though, that if you can keep your perspiration to a minimum
you stand a better chance of not smelling as bad.

As a side note: What you are wearing makes absolutely no difference if you don't cook your dinner time Italian sausage all the way through on your butane stove. . . .This tip brought to you by a lesson learned on elk hunt number 1. I'm pretty sure I didn't get within a square mile of an elk the next day.



Being that I'm hunting in a place with an extreme climate, this seems like a perfect fit: a  great base layer that is light and breathable under a jacket for my early morning hunting that will perform nicely as my outer layer as soon as I shed the jacket. This is my hope anyway, I'll get back to you guys with the results very soon.


These shirts are also made using the Armour Block Antimicrobial technology. The theory behind this is not to "trap" human odor but to stop it before it starts. Again, I don't believe human odor can magically disappear, Copperfield style, but management makes sense. Under Armour advertises that "ArmourBlock technology uses a combination of silver & chitosan as anti-microbial's that "block" odors before there is any odor at all." Honestly, I was going to buy the shirts before I saw this so if it works. . .. GREAT! The only ones that can attest to the effectiveness of this technology are hopefully standing in front of my trail cameras as I write this.

Another incredible feature that I'm very excited about: these shirts actually repel skunks. Yes folks, you read correctly. Check it out. Haha, what else could it be?

So to wrap this all up, I am excited about the features this UA gear brings to the table. It's also hard to deny that you really do feel like a bad ass when you put this stuff on. Barring a major malfunction like the seams disintegrate on the first wash or even worse THE SHIRTS BEING JUST THE OPPOSITE OF SKUNK REPELLENT I think I'm going to be really happy with my purchase. Like everything though, I'm going to test the hell out of this stuff and get back to you all with yet another honesty filled review.

As always, thanks for reading!

'Til we meet again!


4 comments:

  1. I'd like to hear your choices for trail can as well sometime. I'll be in the market for some soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Joel, when on the trail the world is you "can". Haha just don't do it by a water hole. As far as cams go I think that would be a great post! I'll contact some companies soon to see if I can generate some interest in them giving me something to review. In the meantime, I have some different brands attached to trees all over Southwestern Utah so I'll post some comparison pics very soon!

    Thanks for reading man, I appreciate you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. While we are on the subject of other products awaiting your recommendation I would like to know your level of expertise on mountain biking. On a recent atv ride, I was reminded of a past brake malfunction and wanted to know your thoughts on the subject.

    ReplyDelete

Thoughts, ideas, suggestions?
Let me now what you think!