Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Enjoying the Ride: Snapshots Along the Way

Hey everyone!

My hunt is now eleven days away. Eleven.

I have spent the last five weekends leaving boot tracks in some of the most remote corners of Southwestern Utah, seeing things that not many people take the opportunity to see. The Southwest Desert unit is not what most people would consider to be classic "elk" country. Normally when people think elk they think steep quaken aspen covered ridges and lush green meadows as far as the eye can see. I grew up in the desert though. For me, elk country is rolling hills, pinion pines, low cedars, sage brush, and small springs bubbling out of the hills.

It's a different place but it's very near to my heart. My emotional connection to the area is due, greatly, to my father. He loves the area as if it were all his own. He's coming up on an incredible 30 years with the Utah Division of Wildlife Resources. Maybe I love being out there because I feel like I'm sharing it with him. He knows every dirt road and what's at the end of it. Every canyon, burn, or clearing has a story as well; whether it be a big case that he solved or a time spent with the family. It's hard for me to not fall in love with that place every time I'm out there. It's even better when I'm riding around with my dad. Elk or no elk in a couple weeks; I already wouldn't trade the time we've spent out there, for anything. There's no crying in elk hunting. There's no crying in elk hunting. There's no crying in elk hunting.


Looking South West, thunder clouds move over Pine Valley.

Anyway, the last couple weeks have been incredible and I just wanted to take a few minutes to post some of the pictures I've taken along the way. Lest you not worry, the product testing is definitely being done. This post is about taking the time to just enjoy doing what you're doing. Take a mintue and soak in the memories you're making while you're making them. We are all trained, programmed, and wired to spend our time working hard to acheive goals and that's fine, but take a break every now and then. . . even if it's just a mintue to take a deep breath and look around. . . . and snap a picture, even if it's in your mind.

Here are a few of the pictures I've captured along the way. I hope you like them.

Setting another cam
  
Awesome "Cactus" buck. Cryptorchid.

 
Wasn't expecting this! What a great looking buck!
 
No this is not a jean advertisement. But it should be.
 
Hiking in new boots and short socks = sore feet. "This will be good practice for carrying your elk out." She said as we got closer to the truck.

Heading out to glass in the rain.

Russ and I getting back to the truck.



Dad with a dandy out of the pond.

Not many better feelings than this one.

Fish on!

Mustang on the skyline

Russ with anther fine specimen.
 
Looking out over the valley from one of my favorite spots.

Backpacks make good rack packs too.

Brunch.



Russ stopped to think about whether he remembered to take the wet clothes out of his washer. I took a pic.

Dad glassing.

More pics soon to come, everyone. There are just a few that I have and wanted to share.

I'm really getting into this trail cam thing and will be posting my comparrisons on cameras and image quality very soon. Between mine and Trevor's camera's in the field, we have five different brands doing work for us out there right now. We have some incredible pictures so far and I'm looking forward to posting them for you to see and compre soon.

It has already been one hell of a fun season and it hasn't even started yet. As crazy as life is, it's great to feel like things do slow down just a little bit when you're in the hills. I believe that time spent out of cell service should not be deducted from one's life.

As always, thanks for reading and look for another post very soon!



2 comments:

  1. Matt. I look forward to reading your new posts and I am glad you point out that although our goal in hunting is taking an animal, that comes secondary to the memories we make along the way. The best times of my life have come being afield with family. I think nothing brings people closer than being alone together in the mountains and watching countless sunrises together. Thanks for making me take a moment out of my day and reflect upon how lucky I really am to have experienced this great state with the ones I love. Keep it up buddy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Dan! Looking forward to you coming down and seeing some new country with me! Three weeks buddy!

    ReplyDelete

Thoughts, ideas, suggestions?
Let me now what you think!