Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Oh, why hello. . . I didn't see you there.

Hi.

Welcome to my new project.

Let's begin.

If you and I bumped into each other and you asked me, "Matt, you seem like an interesting guy, aside from the rugged good looks and and the boyish charm, what do I need to know about you?"


As an infant I teethed on carriage bolts and beef jerky. That's the God's honest truth and that's where it all starts.

I've spent most of my life either doing fun stuff outside or wishing I was doing fun stuff outside. Growing up in a small town (Enterprise, Utah), with less than 2000 people and 45 miles from the nearest stop light, I learned pretty early that the world outside was a fun place to be.

I grew up working on a farm, when I went to college I shifted to working at a livestock auction, grooming the freestyle snowboard park at a local resort, guided snowmobile tours, and worked as a wildlife technician for the Division of Wildlife Resources to pay the bills. Right after college I even spent just under a year on an oil rig to save up some cash. Looking back; I had dream jobs, doing the kind of stuff people only wish they were doing (except maybe the livestock auction. . . that was kind of shitty. . . literally) while they sat at their desks in trying to breath with a tie wrapped around their neck.

These days I find myself sitting behind a desk for 40 hours a week doing what I sometimes consider to be a job that a well trained primate, with a button up and conversation skills, could accomplish. I worked very hard in college, graduated magna cum laude, and became a business man. I thought that's what I needed to do to become successful. Looking back I probably should have spent more time going on cool spring break trips and less time in the library. That's not what I'm supposed to say but hell, it's the truth. Billy Corgan and his band of gourd destoyers did recorded a song called "Rat in a Cage"; I'm not a big Smashing Pumpkins fan but I have to say that song is an easy one to identify with while you sit in your office and watch the world go by out your window. I fantasize about the days I spent on my grandpa's farm; the days I spent on a four wheeler mapping out habitat restoration projects, the freezing cold days digging tourists on snowmobiles out of snowbanks, and even tripping well casing pipe out of a 14,000 foot hole while being sprayed with water shooting out of the ground in the 110 degree heat.

I'm writing this blog from an average Joe point of view because that's what I am. Just another guy working to pay the bills and counting the minutes until that front door locks at 5:00 PM on Friday and real life begins.  I'm looking forward to sharing my stories about what happens OUTSIDE. . . . to those of you that haven't been for a while; it's still there! If you're stuck at a desk I hope some of these stories will give you a brief escape.
I'll be writing about where I go, who and what I take with me,  how it all goes, doesn't go, works, or doesn't work. In the meantime I'll be scratching a lingering itch to write, share, inform, and at the very least. . . . . .entertain. I'll be throwing in some product reviews along the way as well. Why is it different coming from me? I'm not rich, sponsored, or good at stealing things. Like I said. . . .Average Joe. I bought a range finder for my upcoming premium limited entry Utah archery elk tag (these same tags go for 10's of thousands of dollars at auctions) this fall on a local classifieds web site last week for. . . .  .$15. Am I going to review it anyway? You bet your ass. I have a lot of passion for many different things so don't be worried about reading the same thing twice here. I keep it interesting.

So, thanks for being here! I hope you enjoy what you see in the future!

1 comment:

Thoughts, ideas, suggestions?
Let me now what you think!